Monday, December 14, 2009

CHRISTMAS COOKIES FOR EVERY OCCASION


CHRISTMAS COOKIES FOR EVERY OCCASION

My mom was a mom who baked cookies.  She even taught me and as a little girl we would bake together, especially at Christmas.  We'd make her delicious butter cookies and roll out the dough and use cookie cutters to cut out stars, Christmas trees, angels and Christmas bells... we'd make gingerbread cookies and roll out the dough and cut out gingermen AND gingerwomen ... but the cookies I remember loving the most (and I did love them all) were ranger cookies.  One reason... it didn't have to be Christmas to bake them.  It could be my birthday, or my brother's birthday, a brownie troop meeting, 4th of July or just a plain Tuesday... but whatever the reason, ranger cookies fit the occasion. 

I haven't had a chance to make cookies this holiday season, but wanted to share the recipe with y'all -- start a cookie tradition with your own children, or just make them for yourself.  These are truly my very favorite cookies EVAH.



CALIFORNIA RANGER COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup shortening
2 cups dark brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups cornflakes
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup walnuts

DIRECTIONS:
Cream shortening and sugar well.
Add beaten eggs, milk and vanilla
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together
Add to first mixture
Lastly add cereals and nuts

Best to mix by hand… Mix well, then make into small balls (use teaspoon) and place on a greased cookie sheet, then press down w/ a fork.


Bake in 350 degree over for 8 – 10 minutes…

Makes 9 dozen +

4 comments:

Alex said...

those sound tastey. what do they come out like? hard? soft? lately we've been making batches of cookie dough, and baking a few cookies a night to serve atop ice cream. i allow this indulgence as the baby demands it ;-)

saucyredhead said...

These sound SO good. I usually just make gingerbread and brownies over the holidays, but come January 2, these go on my dessert list!

saucyredhead said...

These sound SO good! I'm kind of locked into just making gingerbread cookies and brownies for the holidays, but come January 2, these go on the desert list!

ilona saari said...

They come out like no other cookie I can think of. Kind of oatmealy, kind of brown sugary and look kind of like a peanut butter cookie looks if you press down w/ the fork so the lines bake in.

To me they're unique in flavor and as I wrote- my favorite cookies EVAH! ;o)