Thursday, February 19, 2015

CAULIFLOWER - That's It - Cauliflower!




CAULIFLOWER! - That's It - Cauliflower!



What can you say about a vegetable that looks like a human brain?  Never, ever wanted to eat cauliflower.  It's white.  I actually love white: white walls, white down comforters, white sweaters, white farm sinks - but white vegetables that look like gray matter from Dr. Frankenstein's lab... not so much.

That is til I decided to go low carb some years ago.  I really missed mashed potatoes and found the South Beach Diet recipe for mashed cauliflower.  Loved it.  Now I've discovered a new, and really tasty way to eat cauliflower.  Roasted.  The whole head!  

Yes, it still looks like someone's brain... someone's fried brain... but each time I bite into this sumptuous brain matter, I realize it has a nutritious and delicious I.Q.



 Roasted Cauliflower
from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
A dash of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large head cauliflower, leaves trimmed

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)

Mix butter, dill, garlic, lemon zest, cumin, salt, pepper in a bowl.  I add a little lemon juice to help blend all the ingredients into a smooth "paste".


Cut cauliflower stem flush with the rest of the head so it can stay upright in a casserole (Pyrex) dish.  Spread butter mixture evenly over the top and sides of the cauliflower (I use a pastry brush)...


... place in the casserole dish and cover w/ foil.

Roast in the preheated oven until tender and cooked through, about 1 1/4 hours.

Transfer to a platter and spoon any liquid in the casserole dish over the cauliflower.



Serve and enjoy. It's brain food!

2 comments:

Sandra Lewin said...

Ilona, Now that sound delicious. I love all veggies and especially roasted broccoli or asparagus.

Anonymous said...

As I was preparing this I thought, "oh, I don't think so". (I tried roasted cauliflower once before and it was not well received). But this time..... Yes, you were right; absolutely wonderful.
Thanks for sharing!
Jean