Tuesday, May 22, 2012

LIGHT & EASY STOVE TOP LASAGNA




LIGHT & EASY STOVE TOP LASAGNA

I’m back “dieting” again… sort of.  I haven’t gained back the weight I lost when last I was dieting, BUT… you can never be too thin… Well you can, but that’s a whole other blog.

The thing is, like most people, I hate to diet, so I’ve been scouring cookbooks and scrolling through Pinterest to collect recipes that sound deliciously fattening, but are low cal for Richard to make for me in my quest for “too thin” (aren’t I thoughtful?!).  My culinary diet efforts consists of broiling, baking or grilling lean meat, chicken or fish and steaming or roasting veggies. Maybe put the broiled, baked or grilled protein in a bunch of greens for a salad.  Good. Healthful.  BUT, (again with the “but”) BORING!

So, in lieu of diamonds or a trip to Europe, Richard makes me wonderful dinners (hence the title, “My Dinners With/ Richard,” in case you’re new to my blog).

The other night my dinner with Richard was Weight Watchers easy, no layering, stove top lasagna (so easy, in fact, I wouldn’t mind making it).  If this is diet food, I’m gonna be very, very thin.  Someday.

Recipe adapted from Weight Watchers One Pot cookbook.

Ingredients:


  • 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans Italian diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1/4 cup tomato sauce
  • 3 basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
  • 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
  • About 6 ounces lasagna noodles, broken into thirds & fully cooked
  •       (Richard used higher fiber whole grain pasta)

  • 2 tablespoons parsley (dried or fresh)

Directions:

  1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until garlic is fragrant, about one minute. Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, salt and pepper. Cook mixture until it thickens up a bit, around 5 minutes.
  2. Add noodles to skillet and stir into the mixture well. Add scoops of ricotta cheese over the noodles; add in mozzarella and Parmesan. Stir in parsley.  Cook about 2 more minutes, or until mixture is thick.

Serve immediately.


Nutritional information per 1 cup: 

Calories: 275
Fat: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 42 grams
Fiber: 9 grams
Protein: 15 grams
Weight Watchers Points Plus Points: 7

No comments: