Tuesday, May 25, 2010

STICK A PORK IN IT - Zucchini-Wrapped Pork


STICK A PORK IN IT
Zucchini-Wrapped Pork

As much as I love to eat new and delicious food, I never read cookbooks unless I had to. I never sought out recipes in magazines unless I had to. And I never searched the web for new dishes to prepare unless I had to. I still don’t have to, but since Richard has fallen in love w/ cooking, all that has changed. I have my own personal chef to prepare new tasting delights. Who am I to ignore this gift from the culinary gods? Not I. So now I read, tear-out and google… and this zucchini-wrapped pork dish is a tasty ‘tear-out’ I found in the May issue of Better Homes and Gardens. And if you’re on NuAtkins or South Beach or Weight Watchers, etc. – this is dieter heaven.

Ingredients:

1 small zucchini
1 pork tenderloin (12 oz – 16 oz)
Olive oil
1/3 cup purchased (or homemade) pesto
Small fresh basil leaves (optional)
Watercress or arugula (optional)


Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a 15x10x1 inch baking pan w/ foil; set aside. With a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, cut zucchini lengthwise in thin slices (you’ll need 8 slices) – A vegetable peeler works great for making the slices. If you’re using a knife, first cut a thin lengthwise piece off so the zucchini lies flat and doesn’t roll on the cutting board, then slice thinly.


Cut pork tenderloin crosswise into 4 equal portions. Press meat down w/ the palm of you hand to flatten slightly.

2. Wrap each tenderloin portion w/ two zucchini slices (reserve remaining zucchini for another use). Place in prepared pan. Lightly brush w/ oil; sprinkle w/ salt and pepper.

3. Roast, uncovered for 18-20 minutes (12 oz tenderloin) or 25-30 minutes (16 oz tenderloin) or until meat registers 160 degrees F. Spoon some of the pesto over each tenderloin just before serving and sprinkle w/ basil leaves.
4. Serve w/ remaining pesto and watercress or arugula.



Makes four servings
Each serving: 203 calories, 11 grams fat, 62 mg chol, 382 mg sodium, 4 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber, 21 grams protein

No comments: